Part 2: An Assessment
The Government explains its Proposals in its Human Rights Act Reform: A Modern Bill Of Rights A consultation to reform the Human Rights Act 1998 CP 588 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1040409/human-rights-reform-consultation.pdf, which represent a radical departure from the HRA. The specific Proposals are developed in the context of broader themes:
- respecting our common law traditions and strengthening the role of the UK Supreme Court;
- restoring a sharper focus on protecting fundamental rights;
- preventing the incremental expansion of rights without proper democratic oversight;
- emphasising the role of responsibilities within the human rights framework; and
- facilitating consideration of and dialogue with Strasbourg, while guaranteeing Parliament its proper role.
You can read Richard Clayton’s full article here.